The University of Missouri (MU) Office of Extension and Engagement’s distinct land-grant mission is to improve lives, communities and economies by producing relevant, reliable and responsive educational strategies throughout Missouri. Our dedicated and knowledgeable faculty and staff collaborate with researchers and community leaders to develop and deliver programs that address needs of Missourians including: educational attainment; environmental concerns; community, economic, business and workforce development; global food systems; and health systems. For more information about MU Extension and Engagement, please visit https://extension.missouri.edu.
The University of Missouri seeks a collaborative, innovative, and visionary leader to manage and grow the Continuing Medical Education (CME) efforts to improve healthcare in Missouri and beyond.
In collaboration and partnership between MU School of Medicine and MU Extension, this position will provide visionary and program development leadership, build coalitions with key constituents, stay abreast of emerging trends and issues, manage financial and human resources, ensure successful continuation of accreditation, conduct evaluation and quality improvement efforts, and grow sustainable revenue opportunities including grants, contracts, fees and gifts.
This is a 12-month academic position. Appointment may be made on the non-tenure track with MU Extension, subject to departmental and University approval.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Lead the Continuing Medical Education (CME) program, ensuring alignment with the MU School of Medicine and MU Extension missions. Collaborate with MU School of Medicine, MU Extension, Sinclair School of Nursing, Springfield Clinical Campus, Missouri Telehealth Network (MTN), community-based health care organizations, and MU Health Care to strategically grow the Continuing Medical Education department to one of continuous professional development and lifelong learning, while continuing to support the long-standing success of the CME department.
- Manage and supervise the financial and human resources of CME. Oversee work to generate and manage revenue (e.g., contracts, grants, fees, partnerships and gifts) and expenses. Lead and supervise faculty and staff, creating an environment which fosters diversity, collegiality, professionalism and customer-driven results.
- Direct the development of educational opportunities to advance continuous professional development, integrate evidence-based standards of care, and promote positive change by identifying gaps and implementing adult learning principles. Develop needs assessments, oversee conferences and educational workshops, evaluate impacts and perform corrective action and quality improvement when needed. Inform administration about new requirements related to maintenance of licensure (MOL), board maintenance of certification (MOC) and CME and develop programs to aide clinician faculty in meeting these requirements.
- Along with leadership, develop a plan to conduct an overall CME program analysis which identifies, plans and implements the needed or desired changes in the overall program that are required to improve on the ability to meet the CME mission.
Successful Candidate Will Also Demonstrate the Following
- Organizational leadership experience including management of personnel, organizations, projects, inter-agency partnerships, information/data systems, resources and finances; to include experience in successful organizational process improvement and/or project management leading the design, development, and/or delivery of educational programs.
- Expertise in applying adult education principles and introducing effective approaches to educational planning, instructional design, and evaluation and outcomes measurement.
- Deep understanding of teaching and learning methods, practice and pedagogy and how they impact and are supported by technology.
- Proven record of the ability to communicate with, and influence, key stakeholders in the educational arena including senior administrators, course directors and other educational IT professionals across the university setting.
- Superior analytic skills to assess compliance with ACCME, AMA, the Medical Specialty Boards, Stanford and other selected accrediting bodies’ standards and regulations with appropriate determination of needed action steps.
- Knowledge and understanding of ABMS MOC requirements.
Administrative supervision is received from the Associate Dean of the School of Medicine and Senior Program Director of Extension Health and Safety.
The University of Missouri, also known as Mizzou and MU, is the Flagship University of the four-campus University of Missouri system. It is the state’s land-grant university and one of the most comprehensive universities in the United States. MU’s broad undergraduate programs and its’ graduate, professional and research programs attract annual enrollment of more than 30,000 students. MU is centrally located in Columbia, MO, which is consistently ranked as one of America’s most livable cities. MU Extension and Engagement programs are located on all four campuses and in 114 counties and St. Louis city.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field (ideally in Education, Organizational Development, Quality Improvement, or a healthcare-related field - e.g. Public Health, Nursing, Health Education, Hospital and HealthCare Administration).
- Minimum of five years’ experience which demonstrates successful interprofessional collaboration, program evaluation, and improvements in the education of health professionals.
- Applications will be screened first against preferred qualifications.
Terminal degree – PhD, EdD, JD, MD
Complete the brief online application and be prepared to upload:
- Cover Letter
- Copies of all academic transcripts, and
- a list of 3-5 references
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at https://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Every application successfully submitted gets a confirmation. If you don't receive a confirmation that your application has been received, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org